問:英語裡都有哪些手段來表示讓步關係?

答: 英語裡表達讓步關係的手段非常豐富,以下是讓步副詞(adverb of concession)的各種類別。

A. 介係詞: with, with all, for all, in spite of, despite, notwithstanding, irrespective of(其中irrespective 本身為形容詞), regardless of

  1. With the best of intentions, he failed completely. 儘管他用心良苦, 但卻徹底失敗了。
  2. With all his roughness, he has a heart of gold. 他雖然外表粗俗, 但卻有一顆金子般的心。
  3. For all this noise I managed to get some sleep. 儘管很吵, 我還是勉強睡了一會兒。
  4. I admire him, in spite of his faults. 雖然他有缺點, 但是我很敬佩他。
  5. Despite the heavy rain, the party set out in the morning. 儘管雨下得很大, 但這一行人還是一清早就出發了。
  6. The law will go into force, any other agreements notwithstanding. (= Notwithstanding any other agreements, the law will go into force.) 儘管有其他的協議, 法律仍將生效。
  7. He is going to buy it irrespective of what you say. 不管你說什麼, 他也要把它買下來。
  8. Regardless of danger, he climbed the tower. 他不顧危險攀上了塔頂。

應當指出的是, 上面的介係詞雖然基本語意相同, 但是語體是有區別的。其中with, all, for all 最為口語化, despite 比in spite of 更為正式, notwithstanding 最為正式, 常常用於法律檔中, 當它後置時, 尤其如此。

B. 從屬連接詞: although, though, even though, while, whilst (主要用於英式英語), when, if, even if, whereas, whether…or

  1. They are generous although they are poor. 他們雖窮, 卻很慷慨。
  2. Though the sore be healed, yet a scar may remain. 傷口雖癒合, 傷痕卻永留。
  3. She won’t leave the TV set, even though her husband is waiting for his supper. 雖然她丈夫等著吃晚飯, 但她就是不離開電視。
  4. While they are my neighbours, I don’t know them well.  (作“雖然”解的while 大都放在句首) 雖然他們是我的鄰居, 但我並不很熟悉他們。
  5. He walks when he might take a taxi. 他雖然可乘計程車, 卻總是步行。
  6. If she’s poor, at least she’s honest. 她窮是窮, 但起碼很誠實。
  7. Even if you dislike ancient monuments, Warwick castle is worth a visit. 即使你不喜歡古跡, 沃維克古堡還是值得一看的。
  8. He though I was lying, whereas I was telling the truth. 雖然我說的是實話, 但他卻認為我在說謊。
  9. Whether she be right or wrong, she will have my unswerving support. 不管她是對還是錯, 她都將得到我堅定的支持。

C. 特殊語序的從屬連接詞as, though 和that (參見相應的詞條)

  1. Try as he may, he never succeeds. 儘管他很努力, 但絕不會成功。
  2. Fail though I did, I would not abandon my goal. 我雖然失敗了, 但我決不放棄目標。
  3. Fool that he was, he managed to evade his pursuers. 儘管他很傻, 但還是設法躲開了追捕他的人。

D. 由what, whatever, however, no matter how, no matter what, no matter who (where) 所引導的子句

  1. Say what you will, I shall still trust to my own judgement. 不管你說什麼, 我還是相信我自己的判斷。
  2. Come what may, you’ll always keep a secret. 不管發生什麼情況, 你都要永遠保守秘密。
  3. I’ll post that letter whatever Wilson says. 不管威爾遜說什麼, 我也要把那封信寄出去。
  4. However cold it is, she always goes swimming. 不管天氣多麼冷, 她也總去游泳。
  5. He had to get the car fixed no matter how much it cost. 他必須把汽車送去修理, 不管花多少錢。
  6. No matter what you do, don’t touch this switch. 不管你幹什麼, 也不要碰這個開關。
  7. You can’t go in no matter who you are. 不管你是誰, 你也不能進去。

E. 某些由or 所連接的兩個意義相反的詞語

  1. Right or wrong, this is my temper. 對就是對, 錯就是錯, 我就這脾氣。
  2. The parade will start promptly, rain or shine. 遊行將立即開始, 不管天晴還是下雨。

F. 助動詞may, 尤其是在may…but 結構中(參見may16 )

  1. Ben may only be ten, but he plays the guitar beautifully. 本雖然才10 歲, 但吉他卻彈得非常好。
  2. I may be only a servant, but I have my pride. 雖然我只是個僕人, 但也是有自尊心的。

G. 副詞still, yet, however, nevertheless, nonetheless, anyway, anyhow, notwithstanding, 起副詞作用的片語all the same

  1. She didn’t get the award after all, Still, her results were very good. 她終究未能得獎, 儘管她的成果非常好。
  2. He may not like my visit, but I shall go and see him anyhow (whether he likes it or not). 也許他不喜歡我去探訪, 但無論如何我還是要去看他。
  3. He’s charming: nevertheless, I don’t quite trust him. 他很吸引人, 儘管如此, 我還是不大信任他。
  4. Notwithstanding, the case must be prosecuted. 不管情況如何, 這個案件必須調查下去。
  5. He had worked hard but all the same he failed the exam. 他學習用了功也枉然, 還是沒有考及格。

H. 形容詞、分詞片語(可含有或不含有從屬連接詞)

  1. Aware of the dangers to American citizens during the crisis, she still insisted on staying with the others. 雖然知道危機期間美國公民所面臨的危險, 但仍然堅持同其餘的人留在一起。
  2. Trained in karat, he nevertheless used a gun to defend himself. 雖然受過空手道訓練, 但他還是用手槍來保護自己。

I. be 的假設式: (參見be3 ,though6 , whether it be)

  1. Be he friend or foe, the law regards him as a criminal. [“Whether he is (or be) friend or foe…”] 不管他是朋友, 還是敵人, 法律都會把他看作罪犯。
  2. Be it very late, I have to continue my experiment. 即便再晚, 我也得繼續做實驗。
  3. All magnets have two poles, be they large or small. 所有的磁鐵不論大小都有兩個極。

喜歡此文章嗎?請Like一下我們的facebook專頁支持一下,這是我們繼續發表優質文章的最大原動力。謝謝。

發佈留言

發佈留言必須填寫的電子郵件地址不會公開。 必填欄位標示為 *